Bourbon Vanilla Crème Brûlée Recipe
If you’ve ever dined at our Steak on Six restaurant it’s likely you would have ordered the delightful Bourbon Vanilla Crème Brûlée. Even if you couldn’t quite make it to dessert, you may have seen one of these desserts flash across the restaurant, it’s quite a spectacle to witness and is by far the most popular dessert at this restaurant. The crème brûlée is presented to the table and lit right there for all to enjoy, it truly is a sight to behold!
Our Steak on Six Head Chef, Gareth Pembroke, shows how you can re-create a bit of the magic at home! A perfect dessert choice if you’ll be spoiling your loved one to a Valentines meal today or this weekend.
300ml Double Cream
100g Caster Sugar
1/2 Vanilla Pod
7 Egg Yolks
Bourbon Whiskey or Spray
Edible decorations (optional)
1. Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in a medium pan, then gently simmer.
2. Take off the heat and add a small amount of the mixture to the egg yolks and emulsify by stirring briskly.
3. Re-add to the main cream mixture and consistently stir over a gentle heat
4. Divide the mixture between 2 ramekins and bake at 95 degrees for 30 minutes
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then chill slightly.
6. When ready to serve, sprinkle a layer of demerara sugar over the top of each ramekin, spray with bourbon whiskey and light with a match, or place under a hot grill until bubbling.
In the video, Gareth decorates with raspberry foam, shortbread hearts, fresh raspberries and edible flowers. In the restaurant we adorn it with Millionaire’s shortbread, caramelised banana and fudge, but really this is you chance to decorate it with whatever you want!
We also used a Bourbon spray, which can be purchased online. This is optional and the dessert would be delightfully delicious without too!