Support Services Overview - Year 2
Culinary – 8 weeks
A brigade of over 60 chefs demonstrates the importance of food in the Celtic Manor offering. A fast paced, simmering environment where new ideas are encouraged calls for a calm temperament and a creative mind. You will spend your time working across two kitchens and will be guided and mentored by a senior chef, to allow you to develop skills that you never thought you were capable of. If you can’t cook at the start of the module, you certainly won’t starve at the end of it.
Client Services – 8 weeks
Client Services represents the complete sales function for the Resort and is split into five departments, each of which you will be exposed to during your programme:
• Reservations – Taking all incoming booking calls for every aspect of bedroom, spa, activity, golf and restaurant bookings.
• Event Sales – Take all calls into the Resort for events ranging in numbers from 2 – 900 delegates along with enquiries for weddings, children’s parties, golf days, private parties and dinners.
• Corporate Relations – Our on the road sales team, covering the length and breadth of the UK and beyond to promote Celtic Manor and all it has to offer as well as keeping our existing clients fully updated on any developments within the Resort.
• Yield – This team is responsible for deciding the rate strategies for the entire Resort throughout the year. Analysing the business in both peaks and troughs and suggesting ideas and making adjustments to always maximise revenue.
• Event Management – This team are the link between our client and our operations team. The event management team are responsible for the delivery of hundreds of successful events each year and work in conjunction with the client and our front of house teams to ensure a first class service and event delivery at all times.
Marketing – 4 weeks
The Resort’s marketing department is responsible for formulating and implementing the Resort’s marketing and communication plans.
- Developing and maintaining consistent brand identity/ image across all marketing collateral to include print and all digital platforms.
- Delivery of creative and effective campaigns.
- Managing the Resort’s PR development and strategy.
Finance and Procurement – 4 weeks
The Finance Department is responsible for managing the Resort’s finances, reporting financial results periodically to both internal and external parties, controlling revenues, costs, stocks and cash, and safeguarding the assets of the business through the implementation of internal controls and procedures.
During your time spent in Finance and Procurement, you will gain a working knowledge and understanding of how a set of accounts is compiled, and how each department within the Resort operates financially. Furthermore, you will gain an insight into the Internal Audit function that helps us minimise financial risk to the business. You will also gain exposure to our Purchasing and Stores department, which is an integral part of not only the Accounting function, but the Resort as a whole.
Human Resources – 4 weeks
Aligning People to the Business, the human resources team represent the interests of the workforce, making sure everyone enjoys fair treatment at every level of the business. Human resources ensures employees follow company guidelines, processes and systems, thus protecting the company from liability.
Human Resources are responsible for attracting and retaining the best people in our industry, keeping us ahead of the competition. We act as business partners, offering strategic guidance and day-to-day support to managers and employees. In your role, you will provide support to the team, developing your own knowledge of the sub disciplines within human resources and the technical skills required.
You will also have the opportunity to work with the Learning and Development team, to understand the focus of the Celtic College in developing people within our teams through the ‘grow our own’ strategy of encouraging internal development and promotion.
Facilities/IT/Security/Health & Safety – 4 weeks
With over 1 million square foot of built infrastructure across the Resort and numerous behind the scenes, the Facilities Department ensure all the front and back of house environments comply with current European Legislation and guest expectations to a 5 star standard.
IT support and manage the data and voice systems across the business on a day to day basis - from online bookings to point of sale - managing over 82 different applications across the Resort and continually upgrading systems as technology evolves. As with any working / leisure environment in the UK, all areas and employees must comply with current UK and European Legislation.
Our internal Health and Safety department ensure this is the case using various approaches such as internal audits, training and awareness.